Yes, that’s right; you heard me right. Creamy, soft-serve style ice cream with just one ingredient — and no ice cream maker needed. What is this one magic ingredient that can be whipped into perfectly rich and silky ice cream, with no additional dairy, sweeteners, or ingredients needed whatsoever?
A very common & one of my favourite fruit – BANANA!
What? You didn’t know that bananas can make some of the best ice cream? Well, I didn’t either until a few weeks.
If you freeze a banana until solid, then whiz it up in a blender or food processor, it gets creamy and a little gooey, just like good custard ice cream. I was surprised at this, I thought that a blended banana would be flaky or icy. But no — it makes creamy, rich ice cream.
Some bananas, depending on their ripeness, have a bit of that green aftertaste. I love bananas, but the taste of cold creamy banana itself is a bit overpowering for me, so I experimented by adding in another ingredient or two, like a tablespoon of my homemade walnut butter, another with honey and another with melted chocolate. That’s more yummy..
Try it. It’s an easy way to stay cool and use up over-ripe bananas at the same time.
ONE INGREDIENT ICE CREAM
1. Pick a couple of ripe bananas. They should be sweet and soft but not too mushy.
2. Peel the bananas. Cut them into coins. Freeze the banana pieces for at least an hour or two.
3. Put the pieces into a food processor or blender. Blend on high. Initially they will look crumbly and piecemeal. The mixture will probably get stuck a lot. Keep scraping down the bowl until the bananas turn creamy.
4. Now is the time to add a scoop of peanut butter or anything else you want to mix in and blend.
5. The ice cream will be the texture of soft-serve, but if you freeze again in an airtight container, it will get harder and more like regular ice cream.
JUST AS DELISH, or even better
Leave a reply →